If you are new to Canada, or simply a new resident of this area, Middlesex County is pleased to welcome you. Here you will find a variety of programs and services to help you on your way to becoming more acquainted to life in our region. Whether you are looking for information on citizenship, cultural associations or employment, we are here to help. - Middlesex County Warden, Cathy Burghardt-Jesson
As a culturally diverse and welcoming community, Middlesex County offers a sense of community and belonging, an escape from the big city into a quiet and relaxing atmosphere and an ideal setup for work/life balance. Visit our flipbook to see testimonials from current residents.
Employment Resource Centres
There are six employment resource centres located throughout the county, available to all residents at no-cost. These centres focus on helping persons who are seeking employment, or looking for career training and skill upgrades.
- Dorchester Employment Resource Centre - Dorchester Library
- Strathroy Employment Resource Centre - Strathroy Library
- Parkhill Employment Resource Centre - Parkhill Library
- Glencoe Employment Resource Centre - Glencoe Library
- Lucan Employment Resource Centre – Lucan Library
- QUEST Centre – Glencoe District High School
Additional Local Support Services
- There are a number of other private and governmental initiatives in Middlesex County geared at assisting persons to receive additional schooling and career development
- Community Employment Choices - Job search and career planning
- LEADS - Provides assistance to people above the age of 14 with physical, mental health, development and learning disabilities
- Next Wave - Offers programs and supports for youth ages 12-30 within the Strathroy community and Middlesex County
- Second Career - Laid off? Looking for a new career? Second Career is an Ontario government program that will pay your tuition.
- Strathroy Adult Learning Centre - Gateway to Learning to upgrade your literacy, numeracy and basic computer skills, English as a Second Language, high school day and night credit courses, self-study credit courses
Labour market information
Worktrends.ca - Local labour market information at your finger tips. Locally focused job, education and training information for the areas of Elgin, Middlesex and Oxford counties.
Middlesex County provides a fully accessible inter-community public transit service connecting the Municipality of Thames Centre to Oxford County and the City of London. The bus system provide accessible and convenient transportation for seniors, students, workers and youth, for employment, education, and leisure, connecting residents and municipalities to each other.
Two routes currently operate throughout the morning and evening Monday through Friday,
- Route 1 connects Oxford County, Thorndale, and London
- Route 2 connects Dorchester and London
To find out more on fares and hours of
Note that routes, schedule and ticket prices are subject to change. For more information please visit https://middlesexcentre.on.ca/services/residents/transit or contact Voyago (the bus service provider) at 519-787-1055.
Local Area Hospitals and Health Clinics
The Middlesex Hospital Health Alliance (MHA) is an alliance between Four Counties Health Services, (Newbury, ON) and Strathroy Middlesex General Hospital, (Strathroy, ON). The MHA provides comprehensive family centred patient care in a rural and community-focused health service setting in collaboration and integration with our healthcare partners.
The MHA is an organization of excellence through its delivery of care in a collaborative and integrated network that addresses the health care needs of our diverse community and the ongoing investments in our people and technology.
FCHS is a primary care facility serving 23,000 people who live in the four corners of Middlesex, Elgin, Chatham-Kent, and Lambton Counties.
A source of emergency care, diagnostic services, and rehabilitation, Four Counties proficiently provides the following services:
- Extensive outpatient care by hospital and medical staff and visiting specialists
- Access to a physician on-call for emergencies 24/7
- The Adult Day Centre
- Community programs like the Rural Woman's Resource Centre, Meals on Wheels, and VON's
- Palliative Care Volunteer Program
- Continuing care and minor surgical services as needed by the community
SMGH serves a population of approximately 35,000 residents in the north western region of Middlesex County, the eastern region of Lambton County and the Municipality of Strathroy-Caradoc.
SMGH is a full service family-centred community hospital providing a comprehensive range of diagnostic and ambulatory services, as well as both primary and secondary care. A new Emergency & Ambulatory Care Centre have been added recently.
REGIONAL HEALTH CARE CENTRES
In addition to the Middlesex Health Alliance, County residents have access to several world class hospitals, clinics and doctors: