Accessing Medical Services in London, Ontario

Obtaining an Ontario Health Card

In Ontario, residents are covered by OHIP -- the Ontario Health Insurance Program -- which pays for many of the health services that you may need. To access these services, you need an Ontario Health Card, which is your proof that you’re covered by OHIP and should be brought with you every time you visit a medical facility.

To be eligible for OHIP, you must be physically in Ontario for at least 153 days in any 12-month period and make Ontario your primary home. Eligibility is open to Canadian citizens, permanent residents (formerly known as landed immigrants), those who have applied for permanent residence (who have met the eligibility requirements and have not yet been denied) or who are on a valid work permit. There are other eligibility options as well.

To learn more about applying for OHIP and to obtain a Health Card please visit the OHIP page on the Government of Ontario website.



Hospitals in London

London has three hospitals including the Children's Hospital which serves all of Southwestern Ontario, and parts of Northern Ontario.

There is also the Strathroy Middlesex General Hospital, which serves Middlesex County.    London is the home of the renowned Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry of Western University and medical research centres which provides world-class care to our residents.


Other medical services

There are a variety of medical services available to Londoners. You can work with your Settlement organization to learn more about what’s in your neighbourhood, or feel free to review the services that are available at the links below. 

Last modified:Thursday, September 02, 2021