Please note this is the testing website for london.ca. Information may be outdated on staging.london.ca, and we encourage those looking for information from the City of London to visit our official website at london.ca.
The official website for the City of London, Ontario
Stay safe by learning about these common fire hazards and how to protect yourself and your family.
It's a fact that many fire deaths are caused by people attempting to cook or smoke while under the influence of alcohol. There's more to responsible drinking than taking a cab. Don't put yourself or your family at risk to fire.
Follow these safety tips to keep your family safe:
Fires can easily start in your kitchen. Follow these tips to keep your kitchen safe:
Cooking with Oil:
If you are using cooking oil, heat it slowly and never leave the pot or pan unattended. Keep a large lid that would fully cover any cooking vessels on the stove close at hand. If the oil or grease should catch fire, the lid can be put over the flames to smother them. Never try to put out an oil or grease fire with water. It will spatter, possibly spreading the fire.
In Ontario, candle fires are are the fifth leading cause of preventable fires and London firefighters are responding to an increasing number of blazes caused as a result of candles that are either unsafe or unattended. Candle fires tend to happen in places like bedrooms and bathrooms where people use them as mood enhancers. Unfortunately, people can fall asleep with a candle still burning or leave the room without snuffing out the flame. Candles should never be left burning unattended. Candle use in bedrooms is discouraged as almost half of all candle fires start in the bedroom. If you must use candles in your bedroom, make sure they are not close to flammable articles such as bedding, curtains, blinds, piles of clothing, magazines and books or upholstered furniture. A good rule of thumb to follow is to keep candles at least a meter from anything that can burn. Avoid putting candles anywhere near windows where curtains might be blown into a candle flame.
Many people keep candles on hand for power outages. Flashlights and battery powered lamps are a better idea. Never carry lit candles. It's too easy to drop them.
Using candles safely:
Unsafe use of electricity can be very dangerous and an electrical fire can happen at any time.
Electrical fire safety:
Matches and lighters can be lethal weapons in the hands of children. Every year in Ontario, young children are injured or die in fires they start themselves. In fact, 21% of fire deaths of Ontario children between the ages of 0-14 were caused by children playing with fire. Young children are naturally curious about fire, so adults must keep all fire-starting materials out of their sight and reach.
Every year fires are caused from careless disposal of smoking materials.