Londoners can apply to host free public movie viewing nights at City parks each summer. The City provides equipment, license for the viewing, set up and take down, and staff support.
The 2020 Outdoor Movie Night Program was not be offered this summer due to the current health precautions and restrictions in place and the ongoing efforts to stop the spread of COVID-19. We understand this is disappointing for many, and we hope to see you next summer!
Requests for 2021 Outdoor Movie Nights will open February 1, 2021.
Guidelines to host
Who can apply?
Residents and neighbourhood-based groups only. Schools, school councils, faith based organizations, places of worship, businesses or non-profit organizations may not apply.
What do residents have to do?
- Bring the DVD or the electronic version of the movie on a USB.
- Promote the event to the neighbourhood with posters, flyers, and on social media. We expect a minimum of 50 residents to attend.
- Be at the park by 7 p.m. on the day of the event with the movie.
What does the City of London do?
- Book the park and provide insurance for the event.
- Purchase the license to publically screen the movie.
- Print posters/flyers for resident promotion if requested.
- Provide all necessary equipment; staff the event; set up and tear down the equipment.
- Determine cancellation of a movie due to weather (rain dates not guaranteed).
When can outdoor movies take place?
- Movie nights run from late May to mid-September.
- There are a limited number of movie nights each season, based on availability of resources.
- A resident or group may only apply for one outdoor movie night per year.
- City staff begin setup at 7 p.m., and the movie begins at dusk.
Where can an outdoor movie take place?
- Outdoor Movie Nights can only take place in City of London parks and green spaces.
Apply to host a movie night
Applications open February 1, through March 27, before the upcoming season.
Priority will be given to neighbourhoods that have not participated in the past, and groups that are organizing other activities (food, games, etc) to make the event an opportunity for neighbours to connect.
Other important information
The license companies control whether the movie requested is available for a license on a specific date.
Insurance coverage begins at 7 p.m. when staff arrive. If the park is to be used before 7 p.m., it needs to be booked separately through the Neighbourhoods Events Booking Process.